September Fitness Tips
By Michelle Walker, 169th Force Support Squadron
/ Published September 08, 2015
MCENTIRE JOINT NATIONAL GUARD BASE, S.C. -- Health Benefits of Cherries:
Antioxidant protection - cherries contain powerful antioxidants like anthocyanins and cyanidin.
Cancer preventive compounds
Reduce inflammation and your risk of gout
Support healthy sleep (Melatonin)
Arthritis pain relief
Reduce belly fat
Reduce post-exercise muscle pain
Lower risk of stroke
Calf Raises with Bands:
1. Grab an exercise band and stand on it with your toes making sure that the length of the band between the foot and the arms is the same for both sides.
2. While holding the handles of the band, raise the arms to the side of your head as if you were getting ready to perform a shoulder press. The palms should be facing forward with the elbows bent and to the sides. This movement will create tension on the band. This will be your starting position.
3. Keeping the hands by your shoulder, stand up on your toes as you exhale and contract the calves hard at the top of the movement.
4. After a one second contraction, slowly go back down to the starting position.
5. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: There are multiple ways to perform calf raises. You can use dumbbells, barbells or various machines.