June Fitness Tips
By Michelle Walker, 169th Force Support Squadron
/ Published May 26, 2016
MCENTIRE JOINT NATIONAL GUARD BASE, S.C. -- Steak Salad with Nectarines, Radicchio and Blue Cheese
12 ounces petite sirloin filets
8 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
3 cups torn Boston lettuce leaves (about 1 head)
1 (12-ounce) radicchio head, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 nectarines, each cut into 8 wedges
2.5 ounces crumbled blue cheese (about 1/2 cup)
1. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
2. Coat the steak with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add steak to grill rack or pan coated with cooking spray; grill steak 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from heat; let stand 8 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
3. While steak rests, combine vinegar, honey, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add lettuce and radicchio; toss to coat. Add nectarines; sprinkle with cheese. Serve steak over salad.
Check out the following link for more healthy summer salads!
These 5 Strength Moves Will Make You a Better Runner:
This routine will improve your endurance and strengthen your big muscle groups. Whether you're training for a race or to go longer at the gym, do this routine three times a week. It targets big muscle groups, making it easier for you to recruit them. Work up to three sets of each move.
1. Stir The Pot: Kneel on a mat with forearms on a stability ball. Keep knees on mat, core solid, and knees, hips and shoulders aligned as you rotate elbows to move the ball in a circle. Continue for 10 seconds. Pause, then switch directions and repeat.
2. Bridge: Lie on one side with elbow under shoulder, hip on floor, one foot in front of the other. Lift hips to make a straight line from shoulders to feet. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds. Switch sides; repeat.
3. Single-Leg Dead Lift: Stand with feet hip-width apart. Hinge forward at hips, lifting one leg behind you and reaching forward until arms, torso and leg are parallel to floor. Return to start for 1 rep. Do 12 reps. Switch sides; repeat.
4. Goblet Squat: Stand with feet hip-width apart, toes out, holding a dumbbell (start with 10 pounds) tight at chest. Keep chest up and back straight as you bend at hips, keeping knees over ankles, until thighs are parallel to floor. Return to start for 1 rep. Do 8 reps.
5. Split Squat: Stand with back to a bench or chair, feet hip-width apart. Balance right foot on bench behind you. Keep left knee over ankle as you lower until left thigh is parallel to floor. Return to start for 1 rep. Do 8 reps. Switch sides; repeat.