October Fitness Center Tips
By Michelle Walker, 169th Force Support Squadron
/ Published September 25, 2012
MCENTIRE JOINT NATIONAL GUARD BASE, South Carolina -- Congrats to all who ran and walked the annual Foxtrot! It is always great to see such enthusiasm doing something healthy, especially when it starts your day off early! The Foxtrot was so much more than winning a race; it's about the end result and seeing it though to the end! If you had any self doubt this year and didn't sign up, drop me an email so we can set you up on a plan and next year you will be out there with your own personal goals! The best way to complete a race is to sign up for one, and then once you are committed you can commit to train hard! Let me help you make that happen, one day at time, it's very rewarding! Thanks to all who put so much into the Foxtrot! Great job!!!
As we all know with the awesome cool weather on its way, cold and flu season will soon be arriving as well. I wanted to share several Immune Boosting foods with you!
1. Oranges and grapefruits - loaded with Vitamin C and great fiber as well.
2. Fish - great source of protein and Omega-3 fatty acids. The Omega-3's are also an anti-inflammatory within the body.
3. Yogurt probiotic - a healthy bacteria that is good for our guts.
4. Spinach - a powerhouse, one of the best sources of calcium. You can not only use spinach on your salads and omelets, but also try a handful in your favorite smoothie, you might just be surprised! When you add spinach, if you don't overdo it, it takes the flavor of whatever you put it in.
5. Pomegranate seeds or juices - powerful antioxidants. The seeds can be eaten in oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, or added to your favorite muffins.
6. Blueberries - a powerful brain food. Half a cup daily is great in your cereal, muffins, oatmeal or good for just a quick grab and go snack.
7. Apples - rich in quercetin which may boost your energy. Also another grab and go snack.
8. Seeds - Sunflower Seeds and Chia Seeds are huge immune boosters. Sunflower seeds are rich in selenium. Chia Seeds are also a great energy booster, 1 TBSP a day can help you lose weight and combat blood sugar issues.
9. Green Tea - has been found to stimulate metabolism and accelerate weight loss. The process of fat being used for energy is called "thermogenesis". It provides extra energy, sheds excess water, and also helps to burn fat.