An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

College Assistance Program - Spring Enrollment

  • Published
  • 169th Fighter Wing

Who is eligible?
1) South Carolina Army/Air National Guard members who are in an active drilling status
2) ARMY: Completed Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training
3) AIR: Completed Basic Military Training and Initial Active Duty Training

Who is not eligible?
1) Members flagged for any reason
2) Members that have reached $22,000 maximum
*Upon approval by General Assembly for FY23-24
3) Members that have received a bachelor’s degree, unless enrolled in an associates degree or certificate program

What programs and institutions are eligible to be funded by CAP?
Programs of study leading to:

1) a less than one-year certificate approved by SC Technical College System
2) courses completed as an education component of a registered apprenticeship
3) an eligible educational program that leads to a certificate or credential (e.g. diploma)
4) the FIRST associates degree or after five years from completion of the first associates degree, a SECOND associates degree
5) the FIRST bachelor's degree or a two-year degree program that can be used towards a bachelor's degree.

How much will I receive?
2-Year Programs $ 11,000
4-Year Programs $5,500
2-Year Programs AND
4-Year Institutions $ 5,500
1) Per academic year (fall, spring, and summer)
2) Lifetime maximum cannot exceed $22,000.
3) Grant is subject to the availability of funds.

How do I apply?
Members must apply for CAP funds each academic year.
Spring CAP application window is: November 20th through December 15th.
Application for the Army and Air Guard can be found at and select Army or Air.

Please direct all Air Guard questions to:
1325 South Carolina Road, Eastover SC 29044
(803) 647-8211

College or university must be headquartered within the state of South Carolina.
The Expiration Term of Service (ETS) date cannot fall within the academic semester that CAP funds are being requested.